Please join friends and family of Evergreen Life Service, Southeast Louisiana on Saturday, November 3 for a volunteer training workshop, to be held at its office at 40052 N. Hoover Road, Ponchatoula, LA 70454 from 9:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Participants will learn the latest in best practices in volunteer management, mission and faith-based volunteer service, and service for people with special needs. A tour of SELA’s facility and services will also be included.
The workshop will conclude with an invitation to serve as classroom aides at SELA’s day program, as families or as church and civic organizations at its community homes, or as volunteer members of SELA’s special events and tour committees.
Registration will begin at 9:30 AM. Featured speakers and topics will include:
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM: Basics of Working As and With Volunteers, Julia Miller (Hammond Junior Auxiliary)
- 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM: Basics of Working As and With Volunteers in Faith-Based Ministries, Rev. Barry Chance (First Presbyterian Church, Hammond)
- 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM: Lunch (free-of-charge)
- 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM: Overview – Working with People With Disabilities, Diane Cole (Southeastern Louisiana University)
- 2:00 PM – 2:30 PM: Mission Evergreen – Specific Service Opportunities for Faith-Based and Community Volunteer Groups/Individuals, Randall Waguespack (ELS SELA)
- 2:30 PM – 3:00 PM: Evaluation, Commitment Sign-up, Sending Forth, Evergreen Mission Committee
SELA’s new community outreach, Mission Evergreen, was begun through a grant from the Diocese of Baton Rouge’s Bishop Stanley Joseph Ott Works of Mercy Trust Fund, managed by the Baton Rouge Area Foundation. The Presbytery of South Louisiana and the Louisiana Interchurch Conference are encouraging all churches, synagogues, service organizations, and civic-minded businesses across Louisiana to attend. The Presbyterian Church USA recently granted funds to underwrite overnight stays for those individuals and churches, who wish to arrive the night before the conference.
A variety of planning and informational materials and lunch will be provided free-of-charge. Additional memberships in the highly acclaimed Everyone Ready online training program will also be available.
To register or for more information about the workshop and overnight lodging, please call Julia Miller, Mission Outreach Training Manager, (225) 275-1242 or email [email protected]